13032 Greenwood Avenue
Built in 1895
Frederick and his brother August operated a factory that hand-made cigars, established by August in 1881. In the late 1890s, August left the company to manage the Busch & Brandt Brewery on York Street, and the factory was relocated to a building that still stands next door to Frederick’s former home at 2450 New Street. Koenecke sold the business in 1933 and became a wholesale tobacco distributor. He served as village trustee from 1892-1894.
The house was designed by Chicago architect August Fiedler. Fiedler was an architect for the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893, and the first Chief Architect for the Chicago Board of Education, where in 1895 he became the first employer of Blue Island-born architect, Robert Seyfarth.
Fiedler’s work includes Germania Hall, homes for wealthy Chicago businessmen, and interior and furnishings for many others, including Marshall Field and the Samuel Nickerson house, now Chicago’s Driehaus Museum.
Become A Member