2551 York Street
Built in 1878
Conrad Kich arrived in Blue Island in 1849 at age 11. His father, Peter, was among the first Germans to settle in Blue Island. Kich worked as a “section boss” for the Chicago, Rock Island, & Pacific Railroad. He was also a volunteer fireman, and became a Village Trustee in 1879. Conrad Kich married Matilda Sittig and had nine children, building this two-story Italianate home in 1878. The Kich family lived in the house until 1907 when it was sold to Walter and Frieda Alsip.
The Italianate influences in the Kich House include double bracketed eave supports on the front gable of the house, rectangular arched windows, and a single story, column supported front porch. This architectural style was popular in the mid-1800s, being built by talented craftsmen and homeowners working from newly published pattern books. These craftsmen and builders were supplied with elaborate woodwork which made impressive detailing available to the middle class.
Become A Member