12940 Greenwood Avenue
Built in 1925
Alden Klein was a proprietor of Klein & Schroth Meat Co., which continues to supply the area in its historic location, now known as the Grove Meat Co. Always a tight-knit community, William Klein lived just north across High Street and Edna Klein lived next door to the west with her husband Ward Seyfarth.
The Klein family traces its roots in Blue Island back to the German settlers’ arrival in the late 1840s. The family operated the Klein Elevator on Vermont St. near the Rock Island tracks, a landmark of old Blue Island and an outlet for the many farms once in Worth and Bremen townships. The Kleins began producing poultry and stock foods, which led to their wholesale meat company.
This stoutly handsome house is an intriguing take on the popular Georgian Revival, featuring many of the elements typical of the style, from its carefully composed symmetry to the well-laid brickwork, done in a nearly commercial manner with its flat roof and stone cornice.
Become A Member