• 19 May The Harry & Stella Massey House

    Article by Don Rizzs, with research assistance from Ken Jellema and Ed McGee (originally published in the Blue Island Sun-Standard in 1978) In 1879, Henry Seyfarth inherited the garden property on Vermont St. between Vermont and Stoney Creek. He later sold it to Henry Biroth,......

  • 16 Apr The Arthur Seyfarth House

    Article by Don Rizzs, with research assistance from Ken Jellema and Ed McGee (Originally published in 1978) The story of a home usually begins with the birth of the builder and follows the families who have lived in the home through the years after the......

  • 04 Apr The Theodore Guenther House

    Since this extensive and interesting series doesn’t exist digitally, we’ve decided there’s no better time than the present to share this joint venture between BIHS and the Sun-Standard newspaper that began in 1978, in search of Blue Island’s oldest standing home. Article by Don Rizzs,......

  • 01 Apr The William Weber House

    Since this extensive and interesting series doesn’t exist digitally, we’ve decided there’s no better time than the present to share this joint venture between BIHS and the Sun-Standard newspaper that began in 1978, in search of Blue Island’s oldest standing home. Article by Don Rizzs,......

  • 01 Feb The Great Railroad Strike of 1894

    The image above (from the collection of the Library of Congress) shows a special patrolling train in Blue Island during the great railroad strike of 1894. Company C of the 15th U.S. Infantry (also in the picture) arrived in Blue Island during the morning hours......

  • 29 Jan The Story of the Albee House – Part 1 of 2

    Thank you to Ken Jellema for his research assistance on this article. In the 141 years since our headquarters, the Albee House, was built, it’s only changed hands 3 times – a fact that’s pretty remarkable for a structure of that age. Though it’s come......

  • 07 Jan “How Chicago’s Suburbs Were Planted And Named” – Norman Rexford’s Journey to Blue Island

    From the March 4, 1900 Chicago Sunday Tribune “Norman Rexford gave Blue Island its name. He was the first permanent settler in the suburb, and up to the time of his death, March 28, 1883, he was one of its most prominent residents. Mr. Rexford......

  • 04 Dec The Rock Island Line Comes Through Blue Island

    The Construction of the Rock Island and Chicago rail line from Blue Island to Joliet was completed in 1852, quickly transforming Blue Island from a stop along the Vincennes Trail to a major hub of rail and trade. This October 13, 1852 article from the......

  • 14 Nov Before the Battle at Starved Rock

    Before the Illinois tribe was driven to Starved Rock where they were almost completely wiped out, there are stories of a great battle that took place in Blue Island along the Calumet River, where the Illinois made a determined effort to fight off their attackers......