13042 Western Avenue
Built circa 1918
The Woolworth Building was built by William F. and John C. Klein, who were members of one of Blue Island’s most prominent families.
This building represents a period of over a century when Blue Island was the pre-eminent commercial and residential center of the south Cook County region. Woolworth’s was a tenant of this building from the time of its construction until the store closed in 1993.
Occupants of the second floor included the Blue Island Elks and the Blue Island Specialty Company, which was founded in 1898 and made dental equipment which was known and respected around the world.
This site was the original location of the pioneer American House.
Become A Member