Herman & Louise Seyfarth House

2518 New Street

Built in 1888

Photographs by BIHS Executive Director Kevin Brown

 

Three pioneer Blue Island families: Seyfarth, Krueger, and McCord – intertwined by marriage – lived at this address continuously for more than a century.  Herman Seyfarth was the general delivery foreman for the U.S. Post Office.  Louise was a daughter of Christian Krueger, Jr., a prominent local builder and a president of the village board.  Their son, Philip, who continued to live here after his parents’ passing, was a vice-president and trust officer at the First National Bank of Blue island and served on the Blue Island Real Estate Board, the Community Fund, and the Blue island Centennial Association.  The house then became the home of Leslie McCord, a director and president of First National Bank, president of High School District 218, and secretary/treasurer of the Blue Island Park Board.

 

The house is also notable because in large part it retains its original Vernacular Gothic architectural features, and as such gives the visitor an appreciation of the appearance of a late 19th century Blue Island home.

 

 

Want to support the work of the Blue Island Historical Society?

 

Become A Member