Henry Schuemann House

13635 Western Avenue

Built in 1840

Photographs by BIHS Executive Director Kevin Brown

 

Henry Schuemann came to this country from Mecklenburg, Germany in 1851. Schuemann and his wife Ida farmed a large tract of land at this location for many years.

 

Schuemann later hauled stone from the Robbins quarry that was used to build the German First Lutheran Church at Grove and Ann Streets in 1864.

 

The Schuemanns later operated a harness shop on Western Avenue south of James Street.

 

Want to support the work of the Blue Island Historical Society?

 

Become A Member