13022 Western Avenue
Built c. 1895
Built for Christian Schmidt, a tailor who came to Blue Island from Germany in 1856, this building’s most prominent occupant was Blue Island Mayor John M. Hart, who operated a pharmacy here for many years.
Hart was first elected Mayor in 1937 and remained in that office until 1965.
Buildings of this style once lined both sides of Western Avenue as Blue Island boomed before the Civil War. A burgeoning population of German shopkeepers served the entire southland region.
Built over 150 years ago, it is one of the oldest commercial buildings in Blue Island and has been in continuous use since its opening in 1858. Its appearance today is due to a remodeling that took place in the mid-1890s. The oriel window and turret on the second floor were elements of that renovation.
Become A Member