Albert & Emma Schmidt House

12846 Maple Avenue

Built in 1928

 

Albert Schmidt was a Blue Island businessman before becoming the community’s assistant postmaster in 1897. Emma Schmidt’s father was a tailor who ran his shop from a building on the northwest corner of Western and New that in about 1895 the couple had demolished and replaced with the current building.

 

This Federal Revival house was designed by the Chicago firm of Olsen and Urbain, prominent architects who designed homes, churches, and industrial complexes throughout the Chicago area; two of the firm’s notable projects include the Tremont Hotel and the 7 Seas Panorama at Brookfield Zoo. This home is decorated with classical ornamentation made of composition, a material used extensively on the Classical Revival buildings of the World’s Columbian Exposition. The Schmidt’s daughter Elsa, a founder of the Blue Island Woman’s Club, bequeathed the house in 1963 to First Congregational Church, who used it as a rectory.

 

Want to support the work of the Blue Island Historical Society?

 

Become A Member